“But Stephanie, Proverbs and parenting without punishment are mutually exclusive! They absolutely cannot go together!”
Join me as I embark on an in-depth exploration of the Book of Proverbs here at Grace For My Sheep. Please pray with me that the Lord will work through this study to share His truth, encourage us as parents, and ultimately display the gospel.
In this series I will be focusing primarily on the verses that have come to be regarded amongst Christians as applicable to childrearing in particular. These verses, which I am obtaining from the English Standard Version, include the following:
- “On the lips of him who has understanding, wisdom is found, but a rod is for the back of him who lacks sense.” Proverbs 10:13 ESV
- “Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.” Proverbs 13:24 ESV
- “Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death.” Proverbs 19:18 ESV
- “Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him.” Proverbs 22:15 ESV
- “Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.” Proverbs 23:13-14 ESV
- “The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.” Proverbs 29:15 ESV
Please know that while my personal relationship with the Lord combined with my exploration of his Word has led me to feel very strongly that the Lord does not desire for parents to physically harm their children in any way, I do welcome you to share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences here, even if they are contrary to my own. I would be wrong and entirely hypocritical if I encouraged my child to speak openly with me and then forbid others to do so as well. When we come together as believers to discuss difficult topics, we not only grow in our understanding of the Truth and of one another, we encounter opportunities to put the gospel into action.
Proverbs Series: Part #1 coming soon…